This Blackberry, Pear and Apple Crumble makes for an ultra decadent dessert.
Not only is this dessert sweet, but the blackberries have tons of health benefits! Blackberries are packed with multiple nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants, which give blackberries that gorgeous dark blue hue. The vitamin E present in blackberries helps prevent the skin from wrinkles. The vitamin C present in blackberries is responsible for the formation and strengthening of collagen structure which is the basis of connective tissue and aids in keeping the skin toned and tightened. So not only will blackberries add sweetness to your desserts, they will help keep your skin looking beautiful!
The end of summer is around the corner, but my local farmers market is still exploding with fresh berries, so I couldn’t resist. Along with pear and apple, the blackberries impart a sweet yet tangy flavor. Paired with an oatmeal crumb topping, this combination creates the perfect fruit crumble. I may even have it for breakfast!
This recipe is from Sarah Britton’s My New Roots cookbook. Sarah is a Holistic Nutritionist whose whole food recipes taste great, look beautiful and boast incredible health benefits. What more could you ask for!
- 2 large pears
- 2 large apples
- 3 cups blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel pears and apples, chop them into bite-sized chunks and place them in a 9-inch baking dish. Add blackberries and lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle sugar, arrowroot, and cinnamon on fruit and toss.
- In a bowl, combine rolled oats, maple syrup, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, flour, oil and salt. Spread topping over fruit.
- Bake crumble for 25 to 30 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and top is golden brown. Let it cool slightly and serve warm.
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian