Just because these muffins are filled with zucchini doesn’t mean they taste like squash! In fact, these Cacao and Coconut Zucchini Muffins taste like a decadent dessert. However, they aren’t just for dessert since they are healthy enough to eat anytime of day!
Did I mention these muffins are a great way to sneak in veggies for kids? My son has never been a fan of zucchini, but in between bites he couldn’t help but ask, “mo’ please?”
Since I love zucchini, I am always trying to find ways to incorporate it into meals. Zucchini is extremely low in calories, since its 95% water. In fact, one cup of zucchini has roughly 19 calories. However, its high fiber content gives you the feeling of being full.
I can’t even describe the amazing aroma that filled my kitchen as I baked these muffins. It reminded me of one of my favorite childhood desserts, German Chocolate Cake. In fact, just writing this post makes me want to whip up another batch. Because, chocolate.
This recipe was adapted from one of my FAVORITE blogs, Oh She Glows.
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups spelt flour
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ⅔ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line muffin pan with liners.
- Mix chia seed and water in a bowl and set aside. Grate zucchini using a box grater and set aside.
- Mix almond milk and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and sugar).
- Pour water and chia mixture over dry ingredients. Pour almond milk and lemon juice mixture over dry ingredients. Add coconut oil. Stir until combined. Fold in shredded coconut, shredded zucchini and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan. Bake for about 20 minutes. When done, a toothpick will should be clean when inserted and removed. Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!