Here is a recipe that you can really sink your teeth into! These Chickpea Burgers Drizzled with Lemon Tahini Sauce are juicy, hearty, and super flavorful. They are packed with a few unconventional ingredients like sun dried tomatoes, hummus and basil, which really take the flavor up a notch.
Although you can use store bought hummus for this recipe, I usually have homemade hummus on hand. I have yet to get bored with hummus because there are a myriad of ways to flavor it. Plus, since hummus is so rich in protein, it can help fight hunger cravings and balance blood sugar levels. This could help curb excessive snacking. Typically, I dip raw cucumber and bell pepper slices into my hummus.
As for the Chickpea Burgers, I am always on the hunt for a phenomenal veggie burger recipe. I can honestly say that I have yet to come across a satisfying veggie burger at the grocery store. They are all so…blah. Unless I am super short on time, I always try to make my own.
These Chickpea Burgers are perfectly seared on the outside and soft and hearty on the inside. The creamy and cool Lemon Tahini Sauce really top them off. Please tell me I’m not the only one drooling here!
One tip is to chill the Chickpea Burgers overnight. This saves you time the next day and allows the mixture to thicken, making it easier to handle when forming into patties and more likely to hold together in the oven. However, by no means do you have to chill them – I didn’t – and they turned out wonderful!
This recipe is adapted from Catching Seeds.
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 - 15 oz. can chickpeas
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup basil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Zest of one lemon and juice from ½ of the lemon
- ½ cup gluten-free quick oats
- ⅓ cup hummus
- ¼ cup chia seed plus ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Water to thin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add sun dried tomatoes into a large food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add in chickpeas, onions, garlic and basil and pulse until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add mixture to a bowl and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Form mixture into 6 patties. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip burgers over and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- While burgers are cooking, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients, adding enough water until you reach the consistency of mayo.
- Once finished, assemble burgers to your liking and top with Lemon Tahini Sauce.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Entree