Halloween is just around the corner now, so get your spook on with this Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup. The mild flavor of the pumpkin gets perked up with curry powder and fresh ground nutmeg. Store bought ground nutmeg can have a bitter, stale taste, which is why I recommend grating it fresh as needed—you can use this nutmeg grinder by Cole and Mason for the job. The flavor is a world apart and whole nutmeg keeps indefinitely.
In addition to providing potassium, pumpkin is a rich source of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid that your body converts into serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter that helps you relax and unwind. Serotonin can also promote the production of melotonin, which helps promote a restful night’s sleep.
Because it’s so colorful and holiday-appropriate, this soup would be a perfect side dish for a pre-trick-or-treat dinner. There’s a lot to be said for giving kids the experience of trick-or-treating, and letting them enjoy the candy as part of a special occasion, but that doesn’t mean their pre-candy meal also has to be junk food! After filling up on real food at dinner, they’ll be able to make smarter choices about how much candy they really want to eat, and they won’t be tempted to gorge on it just because they’re hungry.
This recipe was adapted from the Pick up the Whisk blog.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, leek and garlic for 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add apple and curry powder and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add broth and pumpkin puree and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until creamy.
- Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Paleo