Avocado toast is technically just sliced or smashed avocado on top of a piece of toast — so simple — but when you take one bite you will quickly realize that it is so much more than that. This version is loaded with shaved cucumber, mint, lemon and sea salt, and makes for a perfect snack or meal any time of day.
This Cucumber and Avocado Toast is one of my favorite breakfasts right now — it’s quick, easy, and refreshing. All it needs is a quick pop in the toaster. But it’s also quite filling and satisfying! Not to mention creamy and crunchy.
You probably know that avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats, but avocados may also have other unique health benefits. Avocados, which are actually a fruit, are rich in monounsaturated fat that is easily burned for energy. Personally, I eat avocado virtually every day. This increases my healthy fat and calorie intake without seriously increasing my protein or carbohydrate intake.
Avocado intake is also linked with an increased nutrient absorption. One study suggested that, when participants ate salad including avocados, they absorbed five times the amount of carotenoids (a group of nutrients that includes beta carotene and lycopene) than those who did not include avocados. Crazy!
This recipe was adapted from Goop.
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- ½ avocado
- 2 small Persian cucumbers
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil and lemon juice, to taste
- Chili pepper, to taste
- First, toast the bread.
- While the bread is toasting, use a peeler to shave the cucumbers into thin strips. Start on one side and shave until you’re about ⅓ of the way through, then flip and shave from the other side (discarding or snacking on the seedy center).
- Place the shaved cucumber in a bowl with the lemon zest, torn mint leaves, and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil to taste.
- Slice the avocado and arrange it over the toast, then season with a pinch of salt.
- Top the toast with the shaved cucumber mixture and garnish with a generous pinch of chili.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free