These Whole Grain Citrus and Olive Oil Muffins pair perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea. They are lightly sweetened and packed with good-for-you ingredients like spelt flour, orange juice, olive oil, and even carrots!
Although the original recipe called for three carrots, I only used one. I fully intended on sneaking in as many carrots as possible, but somehow only one made it in – whoops! Either way, the muffins turned out amazing.
These muffins use olive oil as their primary fat, whereas other similar recipes might use butter. Since there aren’t too many competing flavors here, the olive oil really stands out. It makes the muffins richer and more complex than a plain oil or butter would. Plus, fresh squeezed orange juice gives these muffins a bright citrus flavor without overwhelming the olive oil. Sprinkling the tops of the muffins with chopped nuts before baking adds a nice contrast to the fluffy interior of the muffins.
This recipe was adapted from Cook Nourish Bliss.
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 to 2 medium oranges)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder (or extract)
- ½ tablespoon orange zest (from about 1 medium orange)
- 1 grated carrot
- ¼ cup chopped almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the spelt flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, olive oil, orange juice, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla and orange zest. Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the carrot.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ¾ full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with chopped almonds, if desired.
- Bake for about 16 to 19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Vegetarian, Breakfast, Treats