Aloo Gobi is a delicious combination of cauliflower, potato and tantalizing fragrant spices. This dish gets its vibrant yellow color from turmeric, which offers an array of health benefits. Turmeric is super-high in iron and contains manganese, which helps to keep your bones healthy and strong. Paired with fluffy basmati rice and a squeeze of lemon, this veggie curry is a knockout!
I provided instructions for making the rice via stove top, but one of my go-to kitchen appliances is my Zojirushi Rice Cooker. Rice is one of those foods that can be difficult to get just right. However, when I cook rice in my Zojirushi, it comes out perfect, every time! I literally use my Zojirushi every day and it is not limited to cooking just rice. I also use it to cook quinoa and steel cut oats!
This recipe is adapted from HelloFresh, a chef curated meal service based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients. HelloFresh makes it easy to eat healthy when I am pressed for time by providing pre-measured ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes. I have yet to have a bad meal! P.S. if you enter my referral code B4P69T at check out, you will get $40 off your first box.
- 1 small onion
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1 fresh green chili
- a few springs of fresh cilantro
- 12 ounces potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon
- ¾ cup white basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a pot of salted water on to boil. We’ll use it for the rice later.
- Peel and finely chop onion and ginger, trim and finely slice chili, then pick the cilantro leaves and finely chop the stalks. Peel and chop the potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat coconut oil in an ovenproof pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, ginger, chili, cilantro stalks, mustard seeds, turmeric and cumin. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until softened and golden.
- Stir in cauliflower, potatoes and coconut flakes, season with sea salt and black pepper, then add 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat down, cover and simmer until just tender. Check regularly and add extra water, if needed.
- Stir, then roast in oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the rice in a pan, add 1½ cups of boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Cover and cook on medium for 7 minutes, remove from the heat and leave to steam with the lid on for 7 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Once the curry is cooked, season to taste, then serve the basmati rice, scatter with the cilantro leaves, and the lemon cut into wedges for squeezing over.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free